Thursday, February 23, 2012

Q&Q Writer Series featuring Linda Granfield

I first met Linda Granfield through email when we were discussing the "Mash-up" planned for the launch of the Anthology,  Piece by Piece: Stories About Fitting Into Canada edited by Teresa Toten and published by Penguin. Her wit and humour won me over as we wondered just how this mash-up was going to mesh out. She was even more wonderful in person!

Linda loves writing historical non-fiction and she has a really cool website. She lives by the motto:
"Every Day Is Remembrance Day/Veterans Day." Linda is best known for her book: In Flanders Fields: The Story of The Poem by John Mccrae. The entire list of books can be found here.

And here's a peek at make Linda who she is... 

1) In one word, how would you describe your personality?
Curious
 
2) What is your deepest desire?
I want to see my now-adult children (2) remain healthy and happy.

3) Your greatest fear?
Snakes, even pictures of the real things.

4) Your favourite colour?
Blue

5) A song you can't help singing along with, every time you hear it?
Any Beatles or Dusty Springfield song.

6) A movie that made you cry?
Field of Dreams (every time!)

7) A book you have read more than five times? Or a book that influenced you the most?
"Little Women" made me want to be a writer.

8) From your own oeuvre: your favorite child?
No favourite child--but "In Flanders Fields: the Story of the Poem by John McCrae" changed my writing-life.

9) One thing you hate about being a writer?
The paper "mess"--from research, drafts, letters, edits. After recycling, I'm still running out of places to put it! And I can't write and file at the same time, so the paper piles grow.....and grow....

10) One thing no one knows about you (and now will)?
I collect "perfume cards" from the fragrance counters in stores. Well-designed, free, mini-art made of paper, wood, ribbon, silk, etc. I have nearly 500 different perfumes represented, from stores in a few countries. (See what I mean about "paper"!)

Thanks, Linda!

No comments: