I had the pleasure of interviewing my good friend and fellow writer Helene Boudreau recently. She has a number of fiction and non-fiction books in her repertoire which include her first one ACADIAN STAR and KEEP OUT! Her most recent one; REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOERINGS has just been released by Sourcebooks and has garnered great reviews, which are all up on her blog.
I met Helene in Kidcrit, a writer's group I joined in 2006. At the time we were both unpublished, but here we are now, a scant five years later, with many successes under our belts. Among the many things I admire about Helene, the most endearing is her desire to help others to the best of her ability. This could be invaluable advice in writing a synopsis, advice on how to get an agent or just a "hang in there" email when someone in the group has received bad news!
Here is a more personal glimpse of this warm and wonderful writer...
1) In one word, how would you describe your personality?
2) What is your deepest desire?
A healthy, fulfilling life surrounded by those I love.
3) Your greatest fear?
Every mom probably has the same answer to this one.
4) Your favourite colour?
Chumbawumba: Tubthumping (I get knocked down...)
6) A movie that made you cry?
La vita è bella/ Life is Beautiful
7) A book you have read more than five times? Or a book that influenced you the most?
I rarely read books more than once but I love, love, love anything by Katherine Paterson, Kate DiCamillo or Tim Wynne-Jones.
8) From your own oeuvre: your favorite child?Whatever I'm working on at the moment. Right now? Jade from REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS
9) One thing you hate about being a writer?
The First Draft 15™
10) One thing no one knows about you (and now will)?
I eat sardines over the kitchen sink, straight out of the can. Don't you?
Thank you, Helene and wish you continued success in your career!